Wednesday, February 3, 2010

It seems I update in exponential time!

Unfortunately, time has been eluding me lately, and this has been reflected in my posting habits. Your forgiveness, please.

With assignment 1 and our first test behind me, I've come to realize that I am gaining a lot of useful knowledge from this course. I couldn't count how many times in the past I've ignored "If and only if" or "Necessary/Sufficient" while learning math. I always preferred rushing through/skimming over/completely ignoring proofs and derivations to start solving concrete, algebraic problems while remaining oblivious to the arcane subtleties which were being presented to me.

However, it seems this knowledge comes with a price; will this course send my GPA to the land of wind and ghosts?

In every other course I've taken, when I have the feeling that I am learning a lot, it is usually accompanied by 4.0 caliber marks. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, as I haven't even seen the marks for assignment 1 or test 1 yet, but I just have this bad feeling. For example, I am not confident at all about question 5 from assignment 1. I mean, I tried my best, and I think I expressed it fairly well in symbols, but when I looked at the sample solution, I was all like, "WTF, did we even cover this stuff in class?

< Emo>Does anyone else feel this way? Am I alone?< /Emo>

Of course, my brave samurai spirit is not shaken, and I am boldly awaiting more material on Proofs.(They seem to be a little easier anyway ^^)

3 comments:

  1. It does seem that night classes are not as good as ones during the day. Also, summer courses are far worse than ones during the fall and winter semesters. Professors who have taught numerous courses, and probably the course you are taking, teach far better than TAs.

    Since I deleted my post I had to delete your hilarious comment. However, I posted it temporarily under my post "Being Social". If you'd like, you can copy it and post it again underneath, and then I will delete my post.

    There actually is a an business called "Fight Club" in Toronto: http://fight-club.ca I saw that one of their classes was Slice into 2010 - Knife Workshop.

    Do you want to be part of the group? There will be no 10-min presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that if you check with past CSC165 students, you'll find that the course is not a GPA-killer. I think you'll find that once you've gathered the tools of logic, things will start to proceed pretty nicely for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Manabu,

    I wanted to check if you're coming to the study group at 12:10-1:40 this Friday? We'll be meeting around the second cup near the bookstore. I reserved a room in the Koffler Centre.

    I'll print off copies of the first past exam given in the following link: https://csc.cdf.toronto.edu/bb/YaBB.pl?num=1258488100

    I'll have a paper with "165" written on it. My phone number is 647-274-0123, in case you want to call me.

    ReplyDelete